piątek, czerwca 03, 2005

Beagle i Mono

Pings & Packets from eWEEK Labs: "Beagle Sniffs Out Linux Systems

One thing that the interesting new desktop search tools from Google, Apple and others have in common is a lack of support for Linux.

PointerClick here to read Labs' review of Mac OS X 10.4.

That's all right, though, because for Linux there's Beagle, a data indexing and search tool that's built with Mono, the open-source implementation of Microsoft's .Net Framework.

Mono, by the way, has been really gaining my esteem lately as I've seen more cool applications based on it, such as the Tomboy note-taking application to which I've become rather attached during the past several months. Fortunately for me, Tomboy notes are one of the file types that Beagle can search, along with program launchers, a handful of document formats, IM chat logs and aggregated RSS feeds.

Beagle can also search through mail, both local and on IMAP servers, but I haven't yet gotten IMAP searches to work on my Beagle installation.

I've been testing Beagle on a notebook running Ubuntu 5.04, after following the directions at the Beagle wiki site (beaglewiki. org/Ubuntu/Installation).

One of the Beagle features I've found most useful is Web-page indexing, which requires a Firefox plug-in I found at beaglewiki.org/optional_prerequisites."

Brak komentarzy: